Monday, January 15, 2007

"A Hand To Guide Me" book review

“A Hand to Guide Me,” all I can say is, “where was this book ten years ago, better yet, fifteen years ago? This book is surely a treasure for those that are in need of role models and for those wanting to be role models (And my guess is, that’s pretty much everybody on this planet). Denzel’s story in my opinion was the most inspiring; however, there were many great inspiring lives that you can choose from in this book to debate that. I personally recommend this book to anybody that knows how to read. When my seven year old learns how to read better I will pass this book on to her.

There were a few people in here that didn’t really tell how a mentor was their guide in life and helped them to succeed, which at first I thought was dumb and one or two more that just seemed to me like they were just bitter and/or pointless. But as I thought about it more, I realized that maybe they were examples of how you might still succeed without mentoring but it just would take a lot more work on your behalf; or, that they were examples to really prove that every child growing up really does need positive influences in their life.

My favorite and most inspiring tales told in this book came from(other than from Denzel of course): Walter Anderson, John Antioco, Chick Big Crow, Gen. Wesley Clark, Phil Jackson, Donna Richardson Joyner, Patrick J. Kelly, Rev. Edward A. Malloy, Joe Morgan, Matthew F. Pottinger, Gen. Colin Powell, Ahmad Rashad, John Shuerholz, Bernard Shaw, George M. Steinbrenner III, & John Wooden.

Not all of those names are household names, but they are all successful and had something profound to say and/or a good story to tell. There were famous and well known people such as: Hank Aaron, Mohammed Ali, Debbie Allen, Yogi Berra, Johnny Damon, John Mellencamp, Leonard Nimoy, Swin Cash, and Bill Clinton, just to name a few. Everyone who reads this book will have a different perspective on some of these stories but in the end I believe that we will all share the same belief that this book is a Godsend.

I challenge everyone to pick this book up and disagree with me. I doubt anybody will have a solid argument that this book was not needed. I welcome all comments, positive and negative on this book. But if you are going to have a negative comment please read the book in its entirety first and justify your words.

No comments: