Friday, December 15, 2006

Where is my somebody?

Where is my somebody?

Denzel Washington just put out a book entitled “A Hand to Guide Me.” The book tells how every great and/or successful man, whether he be a politician, musician, or just an average Joe receiving an employee of the month award, had a positive influence in his life. I sat at Borders and read the first sixteen pages of the book and had to buy it. I couldn’t help to think “wow” it’s so true. There are days I prayed that I had that "somebody" in my life to give me that “gentle nudge” to put me back on track.

Lord, you know I’m grateful that
you were always in my life
But you know it would have been nice to have
a hug that was tangible
A kind word from somebody older, wiser
Somebody to understand me
Somebody to care about me enough to
give me some guidance in life
All I had was your Word and Son
Which I couldn’t thank you enough for, but
It just would have been nice Lord…
It just would have been nice...

Anybody can be successful by any measure. With or without fathers. With or without mentors. Just the ones “without” will have to work a little harder, have to put in a little more effort, and have a little more courage.

To all out there “without.” Keep your eye on the prize. Stay focused. You will succeed in life even if you have to do it by yourself and you will be a better person for it. Never give up!

D. Thomas
December 2006

2 comments:

tnmartin said...

Good post, and echoes the experiences others of us have had and are still having.
I have no answer to your issue. Frankly, I've had the same one. The one thing that I can recommend for all of us is that the experience make us doubly careful to be on the lookout for others that we ourselves can help along. Rather on the lines of ''if you want a blessing, BE a blessing''. Don't know if that makes sense to you but it seems right.
Keep up the fight - there is a light ahead and this was all known about a million years in advance.

dthomas said...

Thanks for the comment, i commend you on your quest for reading the bible in one year. I personally read the New Testament front to back, Mathew to Revelations in its entirety close to twenty times in the last 11 years in a few different versions (The N.I.V, KJV, The Contemporary, & Free on the Inside). It's a shame that there are so many fatherless children in our world, and yes i agree in what you said by "if you want a blessing, BE A BLESSING", i currently teach a 2nd grade ccd class to live by those words. Also, i'm in the process of creating a "Parent & Youth Development Center" to help out my community. Growing up fatherless and now being one, i understand the dynamics of child development on a higher level. Therefore, my agenda is to help the youth develope with positive male role models. If interested in details let me know.